These very nutritious treats are baked with canned salmon and low fat yogurt. SALMON is high in protein and fish oil. Fish oils are also great for healthy skin and coat. YOGURT is effective at helping a dog recover gastrointestinal health because it adds "good" bacteria to the digestive system. (Info extracted from "The Ulitmate Dog Treat Cookbook")
Recipe by "The Ultimate Dog Treat Cookbook" by Liz Palika
1/2 cup high quality dry food kibble (Wellness Simple Food Solution - Rice & Duck)
2 cans 7oz salmon (Subsitute by Wellness 95% Salmon 13.2 oz)
1/2 cup yogurt
1/2 cup instant mashed potatoes
1 cup flour (Organic unbleached flour)
1/2 tsp baking powder
Additional - 1/2 tsp dill weed
1. Preheat the oven to 175 degree C w/fan.
2. Put the dog kibble in a food processor or blender and grind to a coarse flour. Measure 1/2 cup after grinding. Put the ground dogfood kibble in a large bowl.
3. Empty can of salmon into a blender or food processor. Add yogurt and puree until the mixture is a smooth paste. Pour into the large bowl with the ground dogfood. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. (As canned salmon dog food is used, I just need to smash it using fork)
4. Spread the mixture onto a greased cookie sheet. Using your finger or back of the spoon, flatten the mixture, spreading it evenly over the bottom of the cookie sheet.
5. Bake for 20 mins.
6. Take the cookie sheet out of the oven. Using a pizza cutter or knife, score the dough into bite-size pieces.
7. Put the treats back into the oven and bake for another 20 mins or until golden brown.
8. Remove from the oven and break all the pieces apart.
9. Let them cool thoroughly and store in an airtight container.
Note: For more crisper texture, use a bigger tray so that the cookies will be thinner. For my darlings, as usual they can't take hard biscuit so I make it more like a bread cake.
For crunchier treats: For crisper treat, when all cookies have been baked, turn off the oven. Put all cookies back on the baking sheet and return them to the oven. Leave them in the cooling oven for several hours or overnight to harden.
ENJOY THIS DELICIOUS AND NUTRITIOUS YUMMY TREATS!